Pink-coloured and tasting delicious, this beet soup is a real powerhouse when it comes to nutrition. And beets, garlic, onions, leeks and chia seeds are incredibly nourishing for your liver.
Author: The Awesome Green (wwwtheawesomegreen.com)
* slight modifications by Dr Wendy Davis ND
- 3 medium beetroots
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 small leek finely diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth warm
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chia sunflower
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds,
- 1 teaspoon coconut milk (canned)
- Place the unpeeled beetroots in a pot, cover with water, bring to boil then simmer for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Drain from water and set aside to cool.
- Heat the coconut oil in a cast-iron skillet, add the onions, garlic, leek, and carrot and cook for 5-7 minutes over low heat. Remove from the heat and transfer onto a plate.
- Peel the beetroots, cut into cubes, and add into the blender/food processor/immersion blender, together with the cooked vegetables and warm vegetable broth.
- Process to obtain a smooth creamy texture.
- Season with salt and serve garnished with mixed seeds and coconut milk.