Detoxification is a hot topic in the health field, especially in the spring when people think of personal ‘Spring Cleaning’, however, it’s also a controversial discussion for some people. There are a vast number of detoxification protocols, diets, supplements and products and a lot of misinformation as to what a detoxication or cleansing protocol actually is. Advocates for detoxing tout its benefits, while detoxification naysayers claim that detoxing is a scam designed to cleanse you of nothing but your money. When it comes to detoxification, what’s true and what’s false? Let’s get into the truth about detoxification.
What Is Detoxification?
We are constantly exposed to toxins in our environment. They are in the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat, not to mention what we put on our bodies and what we are exposed to in the home.
Our bodies are regularly filtering toxins that enter our bodies, which include:
- Heavy metals (lead, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, nickel, aluminium)
- Pesticides, insecticides and herbicides
- Drugs (prescription and recreational)
- Food additives
- Chemicals in Cookware
- Cleaning products
- Personal care products
- Building materials
- Plastics (particularly bisphenol A and bisphenol S)
- Paints and solvents
We process and get rid of wastes through our lymphatic system, our digestive tract, skin, lungs, kidneys and liver. The liver has over 500 jobs and plays a huge role in the detoxification process, which allows us to eliminate harmful toxins. The liver also helps us get rid of normal body chemicals like hormones and neurotransmitters so they don’t accumulate. (Which is why the liver is so crucial for optimal hormone and mood balance!!)
There are two phases of liver detoxification: Phase 1 and Phase 2. During the first phase, the liver breaks down toxins into intermediates that will be dealt with in Phase 2, where they can be neutralized and excreted. During both of these phases, we need certain nutrients to activate enzymes that ensure this process happens as it should.
Phew… that’s kind of heavy stuff. If you want to learn more I will be doing a talk on Detoxification – the why’s the how’s and everything in-between at Harmony Health Clinic in Windthorst on Thursday, April 4 at 6:30 if you want to learn more. (please call 306-224-0012 to book and note there will be a $20 fee to reserve your spot, proceeds to be donated to a local charity).
In the meantime, here are a few little tips for you to help support your body’s ability to detoxify on a daily basis:
- Add the juice of 1/4 lemon or 1 tsp lemon juice to a glass of warm water first thing in the morning to support liver function.
- Add 2 tbsp of ground flax and/or chia seeds to your diet to ensure liberated toxins are able to be fully eliminated.
- Sweat – using your skin, the largest organ of detoxification, is ideal. Exercise or sauna therapy works wonders to eliminate many toxins.
- Skin brushing – this technique will aid your skin and lymphatic system to remove any chemicals from your body.
- Whole Body Detox kit – this safe and easy kit supports the liver, kidneys and lymphatics through drops you simply put in water daily.
- MediClear – this is considered a ‘medical food’ as it is a hypoallergenic protein powder with added nutrients you can use daily in a protein smoothie to help you eliminate toxins daily.